Whether it’s an anniversary, Valentine’s or a birthday, buying underwear for the lady in your life can be tricky. Do you know your B-cups from your balcony bras? Your push ups from your plunge bras? Never fear, by the end of this buying guide you’ll be armed with all the right information and on standby to reap the benefits of your perfect present for your lovely lady.
Let’s start with the size; it is of great importance that you get this right first time! Buy her lingerie that’s too small and this could be detrimental to her feelings, buy her too big and she may be left feeling inferior. Cover all your bases and have a peek in her lingerie drawer and take a look at the size on the tags of her favourite underwear pieces. A girl’s size may vary between different brands and styles so take a look at a few different pieces.
As you may be aware, bra sizing consists of a number and a letter or two - the number is her back size and the letter is her cup size e.g. 32E. When it comes to her knickers, the sizing is simply a number, the same as a dress size. If you’re still a little unsure check out our size chart and fitting guide for more clarification.
When you’re thinking about the style of lingerie you want to buy it’s important to bear in mind that you’re looking for something that she will like, not what you would prefer. Starting with the bottom half, there are four main styles available:
• Brief – These give her coverage up to her belly button and cover most of her bottom.
• Hipster – These sit lower on the hips, showing off more of her belly.
• French Knickers – Typically lacy in design and often made of silk or satin, they’re normally fairly loose fitting shorts.
• Thong – The main feature of the thong is the lack of material at the back and a small triangle at the front.
When it comes to bras there are a whole host of styles available, so again it’s a good idea to see what sort of styles she currently has in here lingerie drawer, here’s a quick low down on the main styles:
• Balcony or balconette bras – revealing a little more skin than most, this bra has low cut cups, giving a rounded shape
• Plunge bras – Designed to give great cleavage they are cut very low towards the centre
• Push up bras – Similar to the plunge, again they provide excellent cleavage using padding to ‘push up’ the bust.
• Full and half cup bras – Half cup bras are similar to balcony bras as they are cut low and designed to give a little extra lift, full cup bras are cut higher and are ideal for ladies who like or need a little extra coverage.
Your lady most probably prefers certain brands when it comes to clothes shopping and her lingerie will be no different. Brands will differ in their quality and luxury so take a look at the labels she currently has and stick to those so you know you’re on to a winner.
Colours and Fabrics:
The design of your lady’s lingerie is the last piece of the puzzle. Think about what she likes, is she a girly girl? Does she prefer the romantic look or a more glamourous look? If you’re going for something sexy and seductive then focus on bold shades of red, purple and black in satin and lace fabrics. If you want to go for something a little more understated but still very cute then look for romantic colours like creams, pinks and florals with flirty frills.
Equipped with all the necessary information you’re ready to take on your first lingerie shopping experience – good luck and don’t forget to take a look at our gorgeous range of luxury lingerie.